At an early age, I discovered that I have a very big passion for Information Technology (IT) and Entrepreneurship. By utilising the various IT and entrepreneurial skills that I have learned and developed over time, I was able to start my own software company, Red Ruby IT. Through Red Ruby IT, I was able to do what I love, building a business from the ground up and developing custom software projects for clients.
Apart from business, I like to spend time outdoors such as going mountain biking, hiking, camping and gardening.
Red Ruby IT was founded in 2010 but at that time it was selling IT equipment and custom-built computers. In 2015 the company was joined by 2 other partners, an accountant and another software developer. We formally registered the company as a private company and started trading under the new name, Red Ruby IT (Pty) Ltd. During this time, we changed the direction of the company and it became a pure software development company.
My primary job at Red Ruby IT involves talking to clients, capturing their requirements and making sure that their ideas are turned into reality by acting as the Business Analyst as well as the Senior Developer.
During my time at Red Ruby IT, I have learned many new skills, on the business side of things, as well as on the technical side of things, that would ultimately give me the tools to make a success of Red Ruby IT as well as the many business opportunities that lay ahead.
Skills acquired at Red Ruby IT:
- Domain Name System (DNS) Management
- Deploying ASP.NET Web Applications to Windows Server and Ubuntu Server
- Building web applications backed by MS SQL and MySQL Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS)
- Using WHMCS (Web Host Complete Solution) for automatic billing based on a user's products and services
- Using cPanel for hosting basic corporate and e-commerce websites
- Problem Solving
- Project Management and meeting deadlines
- Customer Service
Technologies and frameworks used at Red Ruby IT:
- ASP.NET Core MVC
- IIS Webserver
- Google Maps Integration
- SendGrid Transactional Email Integration
- cPanel - Linux-based hosting control panel
- WHMCS - Web Host Manager Complete Solution
- Windows Server
- Microsoft SQL Server
BTS Revenue Assurance is a company that specialises in Base Transceiver Station (BTS) site consulting and delivers services such as:
- Site Management Consulting
- Property Management Consulting
- Opex Reduction
- Site Audits
My role at BTS is developing, implementing and maintaining the software required to perform the remote site audits, such as the enegery meter readings, automatic billing and site status tracking.
Skills acquired at BTS Revenue Assurance:
- Building TCP servers for serving connecting clients
- Writing code for communicating over the Modbus protocol
- Writing code that automatically bills clients based on their energy consumption
- Writing code to remotely check the status of a BTS site
- Deploying multiple web applications to a single Nginx webserver
- Building ASP.NET web applications in conjunction with AngularJS
Technologies and frameworks used at BTS Revenue Assurance:
- ASP.NET Core
- Nginx Webserver
- Google Maps API
- SendGrid Transactional Email Integration
- Ubuntu Server
I started working as an Appian developer at I Am App (Pty) Ltd. to gain experience in building Business Process Management (BPM) applications. At I Am App we use Appian as the main Application Platform for developing custom BPM software for clients to support them with their digital transformation process.
My primary job at I Am App is the taking on the Appian Designer role, responsible for designing and building tailor-made business processes in order to achieve business requirements captured by the Appian Analyst.
Proof of Concepts (PoC's) developed and implemented at I Am App:
- Absa Homeloans - Loan Origination
- FNB Homeloans - Loan Origination
- DSV Global Transport & Logistics - Freight Quote Management
- Technology Innovation Agency - Grant Application Management
- Bryte Insurance Company - Portfolio Underwriting Due Diligence
- Bryte Insurance Company - Referral Management (Including Ephesoft)
- Bryte Insurance Company - Risk Assessment Surveys
Skills acquired at I Am App:
- Capturing a client's Business Process Management (BPM) requirements
- Building Business Process Management applications on the Appian application platform
- Integrating with third-party systems
- Meeting deadlines
- Working under pressure
- Working on multiple projects simultaneously
Technologies used at I Am App:
- Appian Application Platform
I completed a tutoring programme at the University of Johannesburg where I went through a series of workshops that taught me how to successfully teach other people.
Using what I have learned, I signed up to be an Informatics tutor, assisting and teaching students to build basic software applicationg using Visual Basic.
Skills acquired being an Informatics tutor at the University of Johannesburg:
- Explaining basic programming concepts to first-time coders
- Working with first-time coders
- Finding and solving other people's programming problems
Interested in my skills?
If you feel that any of my skills could be beneficial to you or your business, please send me an email or contact me via any of my social media profiles as listed in the sidebar on the right and I'll be in touch with you.